“A Pleasant Walk, a Pleasant Talk”— who are they what do they want with us? we bring you the breaking news (1300 words; available for reprint).
“The Tim Machine” — From A Christmas Carol to The Time Machine and back again—and beyond (4000 words; available for first publication).
- “A re-telling — no, a complete re-inventing! — of H.G. Wells ‘The Time Machine’, featuring a surprise guest as The Time Traveller” (The National Fantasy Fan magazine).
- N3F Short Story Contest 2018 — Second Prize (National Fantasy Fan Federation).
“Jon Carver of Barzoon, You Misunderstood” — the strange culmination of a planetary romance (250 words; available for reprint).
- “Short but outstanding… tantalizing hints at a complex fantasy world” (Publishers Weekly).
- “Science fiction/fantasy that is literary, original, evocative. In short, the kind I love” (The Collidescope).
- “Oddly impeccable” (epiphany_maria).
- “Stood out for me… beautiful in its simplicity” (Sepiidae: The Right Venue).
- “Cleverly deconstructing the Mars of Edgar Rice Burroughs” (Martian Migraine Press).
- “Stayed with me… a powerful prose poem that brilliantly brings to life a faraway world with vivid, alien imagery” (Benito Corral Reviews…).
- “Standout… Pages completely subvert their source material” (Lisa’s Reviews).
- “Made my brain hurt… I like it” (OBIR Magazine).
- Best Short Fiction of 2014 – Honourable Mention (Apex Magazine).
- 2019-12 Sensory Perceptions anthology (print & digital).
- 2019-04 Eldritch Science (digital).
- 2019-03 Polar Borealis Magazine, Issue 9 (digital).
- 2018-10 Sub-Saharan Magazine (digital).
- 2018-10 The Quilliad magazine, Issue 10 (print).
- 2018-08 Wizards in Space, Issue 3 (print).
- 2018-04 Odd Tales of Wonder magazine, Issue 8 (more info).
- 2018-03 Manawaker Studio’s Flash Fiction Podcast, Episode 307 (more info).
- 2017-01 Great Jones Street subscription app (2017-2018; more info).
- 2014-05 Sword & Mythos anthology (more info).
“Immaterial Witness”—even the latest forensic technologies don’t always work the way we’d hope (3000 words; available for first publication).
- N3F Short Story Contest 2017 — Honorable Mention (National Fantasy Fan Federation).
A Life of Fiction
Graham J. “GrayJay” Darling has long been a voracious consumer of speculative literature. The first novel he ever read was Alice in Wonderland: after learning that by heart, he went on to sip from entire fields of such flowers of the imagination. Eventually he was moved to share the wonder with like-minded fans in clubs, conventions, productions and games. He now writes as fiction what the world isn’t ready for as fact, in parallel to his activities as a scientist and as a medieval reenactor.
- Interview by Joshua Pantalleresco for his Aurora-winning podcast show Just Joshing, May 2018, Episode 180 (Podomatic, iTunes, YouTube).
- Interview by Christel Bodenbender for Reality Skimming, a blog hosted by Lynda Williams, January 2015.
- Interview at VCON 39, a science fiction convention in Vancouver BC, October 2014.